Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Going Neutral


A big "thank you!" to everyone that sent their kind words when I dropped the news about the baby on the way. We are so excited and I can't wait to share all of the fun things that this new chapter will bring!



We have decided that we are not going to find out the gender of our little nugget before his or her arrival. For the control freak planner in me this is going to be a little tricky, but I never walk away from a challenge :) Alas, people have done it for millions of years, and I don't think my baby will be any less bombarded with colorful and (probably) unnecessary accessories than the next on the block.
 
Honestly, I didn't really have to think twice about not finding out the sex of the baby. I just remember listening to the story of when I was born and how exciting it was for my parents when the doctor called out, "Its a girl!". My parents had been convinced I was a boy as they already had my brother and there had been a long string of boy cousins all born in a row. So when they realized that a tidal wave of pink and sparkles had just entered their life they were shocked and excited (or so they say...). I just want that same feeling when our own baby arrives!
 
 
Here are the challenges that I am going to be working with in the soon-to-be baby's room:
 
 
#1. It has to be a fully functional guest room as well as baby's room. My mom and sis are going to come and stay once the baby comes and I want it to be totally comfortable for them. Not like they are sleeping in a Toys-R-Us.
 
#2. We are on a VERY tight budget and I am determined to do this room for as close to $500 as I can get.
 
#3. Storage is a huge issue. Our closet in the guest room is already 3/4 full and we have no additional storage in our apartment or building. When it comes to "baby gear" we are going bare bone style. Like, "does a baby really need a crib?" bare bones style...
 
#4.  Since we won't know the gender, the color pallet needs to appeal to both a boy or girl. It can be somewhat adapted later, but I would like all the main components to be in place before I'm working on 2 hours of sleep a night.
 
#5. I already have some of the components of the room in place because it was already a functioning guest room (light gray walls, rug, chair, drapes, comforter, bookcases) so whatever I do needs to be in line with those elements. I really don't want to buy anything new if we already have something that is in good shape.
 
 
Below is the inspiration board that I am going to be working from. I am sure some things will change but so far I am loving the look!


 
The color pallet will be tan, cream, white, and pale blue. I will add in pops of pink if the nugget ends up being a girl, but I think that baby will be happy with the room no matter what!
 


 
XOXO Katie
Best Blogger Tips Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I love the neutral palette and think it will be soothing for you and the baby. I also admire and appreciate that you're doing this bare-bones style! My husband and I bought a two bedroom house this year knowing we'll have our first baby here (in a few years) and will be approaching it in the same way. You don't HAVE to go totally overboard and turn your house into a WE HAVE KIDSSSSS house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... I love all of this! Congratulations again!!!

    xo, Emily
    bluedogbelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant wait to see that dresser I heard about!

    ReplyDelete